- With the tip of the knife, make a small cut into the manioc. Twist tip of the knife inside the cut to remove the thick skin and expose the white flesh.
- Cut cassava into smaller pieces to fit into the food processor. Remove the fibrons and the hard core. If food processor is not available, you may use a grater.
- Grate until the cassava forms a smooth mass.
- Combine the grated cassava, sugar, water, lye, calamansi or orange flavoring, and Mama Sita’s Achuete Powder, and mix well.
- Steam for 30 minutes or more until the manioc becomes translucent.
- Remove from fire and let it cool for 15 minutes.
- Scoop 1 tbsp (15 g) of the cooked mixture, form into a ball and roll in freshly grated coconut.
- Arrange on a platter and serve with pandan tea or salabat (ginger brew).
Mama Sita’s Achuete
Calamansi or orange peel, dissolved in 1 tbsp (15 ml) water and strained to get flavor
Grated coconut (niyog), desiccated or fresh