- Soak the clams in brine for several hours to remove the sand and to cause the clams to rid them of their stomach contents. Wash them thoroughly and drain before cooking.
- Place the clams in saucepan and add enough water to cover. Let it boil.
- When the shells open, turn off the heat. Remove the clams and discard clams with unopened shells.
- Set aside 2 ½ cups (750 ml) of the clam stock and discard the rest.
- Heat oil. Sauté onions, leeks and carrots. Add bay leaves.
- Add the clam stock, garlic, milk and Mama Sita’s Palabok Mix. Allow to simmer and continue stirring until the soup starts to thicken.
- Add the clams and grated orange rind.
- Simmer for another 2 minutes. Serve with slices of French bread with some garlic-flavored mayonnaise.
Mama Sita’s Palabok Mix
Brine (1 L water + 1 tbsp salt), for soaking the clams
Water, for clam stock
Onion, finely chopped
Leeks, finely chopped
Carrots, cut into ¼” cubes
Laurel (bay leaf)
Garlic, finely chopped
Orange rind, grated (optional)