- In a pan, heat 4 tbsp cooking oil. Fry potatoes and carrots.
- In another pan, sauté shallots in the remaining oil. Add the chicken and stir until the edges turn brown.
- Add Mama Sita’s Caldereta Mix dissolved in water and cook until the chicken is tender.
- Add the potatoes, carrots, mushrooms and cheese. Stir over low fire until the cheese has melted. Turn off the heat and stir in the cream.
Making the crust:
- Combine all dry ingredients. Add shortening and cut in using a fork or a pastry blender.
- Combine until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Using enough water to hold the dough together to form a ball.
- Cover with plastic and chill for 30 minutes before rolling.
- Gather half of the dough into a ball and roll out to the shape of the oven proof baking dish (Pyrex®). Reserve the remaining dough for the top crust.
- Pour the chicken mixture onto the ovenproof dish. Cover with the pie crust.
- Top with the remaining dough crust and prick the middle part with a fork. Brush with egg yolk.
- Bake at 350ºF for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
Chicken, cut into 1” x 1” (2.5 x 2.5 cm) cubes
Potatoes, cut into ½” x ½ ” cubes
Carrots, cut into ½” x ½ ” cubes
Mama Sita's Caldereta Mix, dissolved in ½ cup (60 ml) water
Mushrooms, quartered (optional)
Water, ice cold